What to do on hearing the adhan (call to prayer)
We hear Adhan five times a day,but sadly we ignore to response the call of the Prayer.We do pray salah(namaj) but during the adhan we sometimes continue with our chats.Many of us even don’t know the meaning of adhan.Islamic prayers are not mere chants,each and every verse has a wisdom.In sha Allah after reading this,We will answer our prayers in the way prescribed by the sunnah of the prophet(PBUH).
Meaning of Adhan in English
Do’s on Hearing the Adhan
1. The Sunnah recommends that while the adhan is being called, one should listen attentively and repeat every line silently after the Mu’adhdhin (the one who calls the adhan), but when he says “Hayya ‘alas-Salah” and “Hayya ‘ala-l-falah” “حَيَّ عَلَى الصَّلاَةِ وَحَيَّ عَلَى الْفَلَاحِ” one should say:
La hawla wa la quwwata illa billahه لا حولا ولا قوّة إلّا باللّه
(There is no might or power except with ALLAH)
• The Messenger of ALLAH [peace and blessings be upon him] said, “When you hear the adhan, repeat what the Mu’adhdhin says.” [Imam Malik – Muwatta]
• Narrated by Yahya “Some of my companions told me that Hisham had said”, “When the Mu’adhdhin said, “Haiya alas-salah (come for the prayer).” Muawiya said, “La hawla wala quwata illa billah” and added, “We heard your Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) saying the same.” [Sahih Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 11 :: Hadith 587]
2. Invoking blessings on the Prophet (peace be upon him)
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “When you hear the Mo’athen calling for the prayer, repeat his words then ask ALLAH’s blessings upon me, because the one who asks ALLAH’s blessings upon me once will be rewarded ten blessings by ALLAH.“ [Muslim, The Book of Prayer, Hadith 384]
The text of As-Salawat Al-Ibrahimiah is:
اللهم صــل علٰی محمد و علٰی آل محمد كما صليت علٰی إبراهيم و علٰی آل إبراهيم انك حميد مجيد
اللهم بارك علٰی محمد و علٰی آل محمد كما بار كت علٰی إبراهيم و علٰی آل إبراهيم انك حميد مجيد
(Allaahumma salli alaa Muhammadin wa alaa aali Muhammadin, kamaa sallayta alaa Ibraaheema wa alaa aali Ibraaheema innaka Hameedun Majeed. Allahumma Baarik alaa Muhammadin wa alaa aali Mohammadin kamaa baarakta alaa Ibraaheema wa alaa aali Ibraaheema innaka Hameedun Majeed – i.e. O ALLAH, bestow your favor on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad as You have bestowed Your favor on Ibrahim and on the family of Ibrahim, You are Praiseworthy, Most Glorious. O ALLAH, bless Muhammad and the family of Mohammad as You have blessed Ibrahim and the family of Ibrahim, You are Praiseworthy, Most Glorious). [Al-Bukhari , The Book of Stories of the Prophet, Hadith 3370]
3. After the adhan, it is recommended to say the following dua (supplication):
Allahumma rabba hadhihi-d-da‘awati-t-tammati wa-s-Salati-l-qa’imati, ati Muhammadan il-wasilata wa-l-fadilata (wa-d-darajata-r-rafî‘ati) wa-b‘ath-hu maqamam mahmudan illadhi wa‘adtahu (innaka la tukhliful mi’ad)
0 ALLAH, Lord of this most perfect call, and of the Prayer that is about to be established, grant to Muhammad the favor of nearness (to You) and excellence and a place of distinction, and exalt him to a position of glory that You have promised him.
• Narrated by Jabir bin ‘Abdullah [may Allah be pleased with him ]: Allah’s Messenger [peace and blessings be upon him] said: “Whoever after listening to the adhan says (dua is given above) then intercession for me will be permitted for him on the Day of Resurrection”.[Sahih Bukhari – Book 11:588]
• Abdullah bin
Amr bin Al-As [ may Allah be pleased with him] reported: I heard theMessenger of ALLAH (peace be upon him) saying, “When you hear the Adhan, repeat what the Mu’adhdhin says. Then ask ALLAH to exalt my mention because everyone who does so will receive in return ten rewards from ALLAH. Then beseech ALLAH to grant me Al-Wasilah (which is said in the dua above), which is a high rank in Jannah, fitting for only one of ALLAH’s slaves; and I hope that I will be that man. If anyone asks Al-Wasilah for me, it becomes incumbent upon me to intercede for him.” [Sahih Muslim]
4. The hearer should say after hearing adhan:
“وَأَنَا أَشَْهَدُ أَنْ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللهُ وَحْدَهُ لَا شَرِيكَ لَهُ وَأَنَّ مُحَمَّداً عَبْدُهُ وَرَسُولُهُ، رَضِيتُ بِاللهِ رَبَّاً وَبِمُحَمَّدٍ رِسُولاً وَبِالإِْسلاَمِ دِيناً“.
Wa ‘anaa ‘ash-hadu ‘an laa ‘ilaaha ‘illallaahu wahdahu laa shareeka lahu wa ‘anna Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa Rasooluhu, radheetu billaahi Rabban, wa bi-Muhammadin Rasoolan wa bil’islaami deenan.
(And I also bear witness that there is no deity has the right to be worshipped but ALLAH alone, Who has no partner, and that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger. I am pleased with ALLAH as my Lord, with Muhammad (peace be upon him) as my Messenger and with Islam as my religion.)
[To be recited in Arabic after the Mu’aththin’s Tashahhud or the words of affirmation of Faith]) [Muslim, The Book of Prayer, Hadith 386].
5. Make dua to ALLAH in between the adhan and iqamaah
It is the best time to make dua,so we should not miss it.
The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Repeat the words of the Mo’athen and when you finish, ask ALLAH what you want and you will get it“[Abu Daawood, The Book of Prayer, Hadith 524. Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar graded the Hadeeth as Hasan and Ibn Hibbaan gave it a grading of authentic
( “Kitab As salat” Dawud :: Book 2 : Hadith 521) Narrated Anas ibn Malik: “The supplication made between the adhan and the iqamah is not rejected”.
If You like this article Please Share it to help us keep providing you with more.
Dont’s on hearing the adhan
- We should not talk during Adhan
- Do not listen to Music or watch Tv during Adhan
- Try to focus on Adhan