WHAT IS LAYLATUL QADR?
Laylatul Qadr is an honorable night in which Allah has promised immense rewards and goodness.
It is better than thousand months
Allah’s Saying: “The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allâh in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).” [Surat Al Qadr: 3].
On this Day All Sins will be forgiven
The Hadith that was authentically reported in Sahih Al Bukhari and Sahih Muslim from the Prophet (peace be upon him) that he said: “Whoever establishes Salah on the night of Qadr out of sincere faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, all his previous sins will be forgiven.” Proves that it is a night in which sins are forgiven, gates of goodness are opened, rewards are multiplied, and matters are facilitated.
It is the Night in which the Quran was revealed
It is the night in which the Qur’an was revealed. as Allah (may He be Exalted) says: “Verily, We have sent it (this Qur’ân) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree).” [Surat Al Qadr: 1].
On this Day our Qadr is recorded
Allah (may He be Exalted) mentioned in His Book: “Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments.” [Surat Ad-Dukhan: 4].
Allah has descried it to blessed
Allah (may He be Exalted) described it as a blessed night by his saying: “We sent it (this Qur’ân) down on a blessed night [(i.e. the night of Al-Qadr, Sûrah No. 97) in the month of Ramadân – the 9th month of the Islâmic calendar]. Verily, We are ever warning [mankind that Our Torment will reach those who disbelieve in Our Oneness of Lordship and in Our Oneness of worship].” [Surat Ad-Dukhan: 3].
EVIDENCE THAT LAYLATUL QADR IS IN THE LAST TEN DAYS OF RAMADAN:
- It was narrated by Abu Salama (r.a):”Once I went to Abu Said al-Kudri and asked him,”Won’t you come with us to the date palm trees to have a talk?”So Abu Said replied,”Once Allah’s Apostle (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) performed Iktikaaf on the first 10 days of the month of Ramadhan and we did the same with him.Gabriel came to him and said, “The night you are looking for is ahead of you.” So the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) performed the Iktikaaf in the middle (second) 10 days of the month of Ramadhan and we too performed Iktikaaf with him..Gabriel came to him and said,”The night which you are looking for is ahead of you.”
- Narrated ‘Aisha RA: Allah’s Apostle said, “Search for the Night of Qadr in the odd nights of the last ten days of Ramadan.”
[Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 32 :: Hadith 234]
- Abu saeed al khudri reported that Prophet (s) said: And he who desires to observe i’tikaf along with me should spend the night at his place of i’tikaf. And I saw this night (Lailat-ul-Qadr) but I forgot it (the exact night) ; so seek it; In the last ten nights on odd numbers. [Muslim :: Book 6 : Hadith 2625]
- Narrated ‘Ubada bin As-Samit:The Prophet came out to inform us about the Night of Qadr but two Muslims were quarreling with each other. So, the Prophet said, “I came out to inform you about the Night of Qadr but such-and-such persons were quarreling, so the news about it had been taken away; yet that might be for your own good, so search for it on the 29th, 27th and 25th (night of Ramadan). [Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 32 :: Hadith 240]
Prophet Muhammad’s (SAW) dream about Laylatul Qadr
On the morning of the 20th Ramadhan, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) delivered a sermon saying:
“Whoever has performed Iktikaaf with me should continue it. I have been shown the Night of ‘Qadr’, but have forgotten the date, but it is in the odd nights of the last 10 nights. I saw in my dream that I was prostrating in mud and water.”In those days the roof of the mosque was made of branches of date palm trees. At the same time the sky was clear and no cloud visible, but suddenly a cloud came and it rained.The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) led us in the prayer and I saw the traces of mud on the foreheadand the nose of Allah’s Apostle (sallallahu alaihi wasallam). So it was the confirmation of that dream.”[Bukhari]
Identifying Laylatul Qadr
Ibn Numair reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Look for Lailat-ul-Qadr in the last ten nights of Ramadan. [Muslim :: Book 6 : Hadith 2632] So ,A believer should search for laylatul qadr and make abundant of dua. There are a number of authentic hadeeth, which helps us to search for the signs of Lailatul-Qadr.
Five most authentic signs are:-
1. The sun rises early in the morning without rays.
From Ubayy, (RA), who said:that he (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said: On the morning following Laylatul-Qadr the sun rises not having any rays, as if it were a brass dish, until it rises up.” [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmithi and Ibn Majah]
2)It is a pleasant and calm
Ibn ‘Abbaas (RA), said: Allaah’s Messenger, (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), said: “Lailatul-Qadr is calm and pleasant, neither hot nor cold, the sun arises on its morning being feeble and red.” [ Ibn Khuzaimah and al-Bazzaar with a Hasan Isnad]
3)The sea water taste sweet.
One Sahaabi, Ab’da bin Abi Lubaaba (Radhi Allaho anho) says: “On the evening of the 27th , I tasted the water of the sea and it was sweet.”Ayub bin Khalid said: ‘I once had to bathe myself with sea water, and on tasting it, found, it sweet. This was on the 23rd night.”
4)Rain may fall either during the night or during the day of that night.
5)During night the sky will be lightly foggy.
6). The sky will be slightly lighted without reflections and without rays.
DUA TO BE READ ON LAYLATUL QADR
Ahmad (25898), An-Nasaa’i, At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah narrated from ‘Aa’isha (ra) that she said: “O Prophet of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم if I make contact with Laylat-ul-Qadr what should I say? He صلى الله عليه وسلم said: You say: Allahumma Innaka ‘Afuwun tuhibbul ‘Afwa fa’fu ‘Anni (O Allah you are the pardoner, you love to pardon, so pardon me)”.
At-Tirmidhi said: This Hadeeth is Hasan Saheeh.
SOME PRACTICAL TIPS:
Aisha RA : “With the start of the last ten days of Ramadan, the Prophet used to tighten his waist belt and used to pray all the night, and used to keep his family awake for the prayers.”The reason for being that this night is too great and majestic as ALLAH (SWT) has Stated it in Quran that: [97:3] ” The Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months” (i.e. worshipping Allâh in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).Hence, we should atleast search it in odd nights of the last ten nights of Ramadhan, if we cannot search it on all the nights consecutively.
We pray to Allah All Mighty Most Merciful to bless us this Ramadan by making us witness the Laylatul-Qadr and to get all it’s rewards.
Shaykh Maher (imam of Harem Makkah) gives some very practical advice here:
Ideas for the last ten days:
- Give 1 dinar in charity every day, so if it falls on laylatul qadr it’s as if u gave charity everyday for 84 years.
- Pray two ra’kaat everyday, so if it falls on laylatul qadr it’s as if u prayed everyday for 84 years.
- Read Surah ikhlaas three times a day, so if it falls on laylatul qadr it’s as if u read the whole Quran everyday for 84 years.
He then says spread this as you may find it on your account [of good deeds].
Allah make us of the victorious.
Do You Want to Witness the Qiyamul Lail (the Night Prayer ) 2017 from Mecca ? You can see it here-
Jazak Allah Khairan