People wonder why kids have gotten so much more disrespectful these days—we see children and teens arguing with adults (or ignoring them outright), using foul language, copping an attitude, and not using manners or respecting those in authority. Sadly, this has become the norm for many children and teens. In my opinion, it really is a different world right now than the one we grew up in. Movies, music, video games and television all seem to glorify a disrespectful, angry, rude way of dealing with others. This means that in some ways we have to work harder as parents to teach our kids to be respectful. Added to this is the fact that parents are also busier than ever before, which makes it much harder to respond immediately to our kids.
One good Way to inculcate good Manners in Children is to read to them the guidelines from Quran and Stories from Hadeeths which talks about good behaviour towards Parents.
Commands from Quran to be Dutiful to Parents :
Allah commands us to be dutiful to our Parents in Quran :
- “And We have enjoined on man to be dutiful and kind to his parents ” [al-Ahqaaf 46:15]
- “ Behave with them in the world kindly” [Luqmaan 31:15]
- “And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.”[ Surah Al-Isra [17:23]
Hadiths on being Dutiful to Parents :
3. Ata ibn Yasar said that a man came to Ibn Abbas and said, “I asked a woman to marry me and she refused to marry me. Another man asked her and she agreed to marry him. I became jealous and killed her. Is there any way for me to repent?” He asked, “Is your mother alive?” “No,” he replied. He said, “repent to Allah Almighty and try to draw near Him as much as you can.” So I went and asked Ibn `Abbas why he inquired about the man’s mother. He replied:
7. Ibn Abbas mentioned the words of the Almighty, “When one or both of them reach old age with you, do not say ‘Ugh!’ to them out of irritation and do not be harsh with them but speak to them with gentleness and generosity. Take them under your wing, out of mercy, with due humility and say:
10. It was narrated from ‘Abdullah bin’ Amr that the Prophet said:
As a Parent We should always make good Dua for our children and never curse them.
There is a hadeeth ,
The story of the curse of Mother of Juraij,
Narrated Abu Huraira RA :
Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said, “A woman called her son while he was in his hermitage and said, ‘O Juraij’ He said, ‘O Allah, my mother (is calling me) and (I am offering) my prayer (what shall I do)?’ She again said, ‘O Juraij!’ He said again, ‘O Allah ! My mother (is calling me) and (I am offering) my prayer (what shall I do)?’ She again said, ‘O Juraij’ He again said, ‘O Allah! My mother (is calling me) and (I am offering) my prayer. (What shall I do?)’ She said, ‘O Allah! Do not let Juraij die till he sees the faces of prostitutes.‘
A shepherdess used to come by his hermitage for grazing her sheep and she gave birth to a child. She was asked whose child that was, and she replied that it was from Juraij and that he had come out from his hermitage. Juraij said, ‘Where is that woman who claims that her child is from me?’ (When she was brought to him along with the child), Juraij asked the child, ‘O Babus, who is your father?’ The child replied, ‘The shepherd.’ ” (See Hadith No 662. Vol 3).
Allah cleared Juraij of the accusation of the Prostitute but the Curse of her mother was such that it came to effect .So always be careful.
So kids reading this article ,be Dutiful to your Parents and never make them Upset .
And If you are a Parent, Make good Dua for your Children and teach them with love and patience.