Do you Know about the Price of the Pigeons in the Bird Market of Madina ?
During a tour of the bird market in Madinah, you see all kinds and shapes of pigeons from across the world. Talaat Hamza Zakour, a pigeon breeder, tells about the different kinds of Pigeon and about his hobby of keeping birds which has occupied him since his childhood. He said , “At first I did not know the types of pigeons but with the passage of time I got to know them, and that each one has a different advantage.
There are many types of Pigeons-
- The Homing pigeon is considered the ‘best’ of its kind and the price of a single pigeon may reach more than SR100,000 ($26,666).”He also said that homing pigeons “are rare in Madinah because no competitions are organized here.
- “Fancy pigeons come next. These birds are known by different names including the Kuwaiti, Butterfly, Mango, Turkish and Mookee pigeon and their price sometimes reaches SR2,000 each.
- The price of the Jacobin pigeon reaches up to SR6,000, the Sudanese pigeon is worth SR3,000, the Syrian pigeon SR800, English pigeon SR4,000 and the Pakistani pigeon is worth SR3,000.”
- According to Zakour, there is a special Turkish breed that can fetch up to SR40,000, but the homing pigeons are considered the most expensive.
- Zakour pointed out there is a kind of pigeon called “Al-Zaeem” meaning “the leader.” It is, he said, very popular among amateurs and is also priced at SR40,000.“It is called the ‘leader’ because it leads the flock of pigeons and has a distinct color and shape,” he said, adding that pigeons need health care, attention and time.
Ahmed Nour, an owner of a pet shop, says “the interest in pigeon breeding has diminished as a result of people’s preoccupation with other things, and modern technology has made many people refrain from keeping and caring for them.”
Ref : Arab News