Dear Muhammad-……….., Are You Happy with your Name?
There was an article in the guardian “Muhammad: the truth about Britain’s most misunderstood name”.Which emphasized that although the name Muhammad is an undeniably popular name,many people would just like to shed it and go by another name.This was after” Muhammad” became the most popular name of boys in britain last year.
Surprisingly , Some Men feel ashamed to be called a name which emphasizes your religion infact they prefer to be called just ” Mo” instead of Muhammad .Some even claim that Parents who name their child Muhammad have lost their creative pursuit of naming .
Many people don’t know why is their name Muhammad.A lot of people who are going by this blessed name just for keeping with the tradition,need to retrospect.And I bet after learning the virtues of this name,You will feel proud of this name .
It is the infant’s vested right to be honoured with a good name. When choosing a name for the child, it should be done with the intention that the child will be blessed with the barakah of that name. Here are some Ahadeeth to show the importance of selecting a good and correct name .Let us first see the meaning of the name “Muhammad”.
Meaning of the name Muhammad
“Muhammad “Means “praiseworthy”, it is derived from Arabic حمد (hamid) “to praise”.It is advisable to name our child Muhammad .
Virtues of the name Muhammad
- Ibn Asakir and Hussain Ibn Ahmad has stated that Sayyiduna Rasoolullah Sallallaho Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam said, “If a son is born to you and out of love and respect for me and to obtain the blessings of my name, you keep the child’s name ‘Muhammad’, then the father and child will both enter Jannah.”
- Hafidh Abu Tahir and Hafidh Ibn Bakeer narrates on the authority of Sayyiduna Anas Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu that Sayyiduna Rasoolullah Sallallaho Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam said, “On the day of Qiyamah two persons will be summoned to the Court of ALLAH. The verdict would be – ‘take them both to Jannah!’ They would say, ‘O Almighty ALLAH! We have performed no good deed to entitle us to enter Jannah!’ ALLAH will command again, ‘Take them to Jannah because I have taken an oath that I will not put any person in Jahannam (Hell) whose name is Ahmad or Muhammad.'”
- Sayyiduna Rasoolullah Sallallaho Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam states: “My Lord has mentioned to me, ‘I swear by My Sight and greatness that whosoever is named after you shall never be destroyed by the Fire of Hell.'” [Hilyah Abu Nu’aym]
- Ameer al-Mu’mineen Sayyiduna Ali (Radi ALLAHu Ta’ala Anhu) narrates that Rasoollulah Sallallaho Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam states: “Those who sit in a company and eat food, and if there is a person amongst them by the name of Ahmad or Muhammad, then that entire group would receive the blessing of ALLAH twice daily.” [Hafidh Ibne Bakeer, Waylami, Musnad Abi Saeed Naqqash, Ibn Adi Kaamil]
5. The Glorious Prophet of ALLAH Sallallaho Alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallam said: “He who is blessed with three sons and does not name one Muhammad is indeed a Jahil (Ignorant).” [Tibrani, Mau’jam al-Kabeer]
6)”On the Day of Qiyaamah you will be called by your (own) names and the names of your fathers. Therefore keep good names.” Aboo Dawood.
Muslims should always be proud of their identity and faith. Nowadays, to conceal his identity, it is common practice for a person to ‘westernize’ his name, like substituting Yoosuf with Joe or Joseph, Sulaimaan with Solly or Sully, Faatimah with Fatli, Sumay-yah with Summi, etc. Efforts to distort such beautiful names merely reveal an un-Islamic and sacreligious attitude. Remember, there exists behind each Islamic name an Islamic spirit and meaning, which, when distorted, is ruined. For example, there is intended love for the Prophet of Islam, and barakah when naming a child Muhammad. But when Muhammad is called Mahmad or Gammat, this spirit of love for Rasoolullah sallallaahu-alayhi-wasallam and the acquiring of barakah by such a name is shattered. Should we not then refrain from such sacreligious practices?
May Allah Ta’ala guide us so that we may realize the beauty and uniqueness of the religion of Islam propounded by no other than the one who is the best of Allah’s creations-May Allah shower His choicest blessings upon him. May Allah Ta’ala guide us on the Right Path.