How to Choose Halal Cosmetics ?How do we Know which Make up are halal and which are not ?
I Have a News ! Most of us are Contaminating ourselves with Haram Cosmetics which Invalidates our Salah. Everyday We Apply Lots of cosmetics in Our Face.We use body care products and toiletries such as shampoos, conditioners, shower gels, body creams, which contain animal (non zabiha/haram) byproducts (which might include pig,cow and Chicken).
Shocked ! I too was Shocked and Upset about this Discovery. Although I was aware of the talk about some Lipsticks containing Pigs fats and took great care in Choosing A Lipstick free from Animal Fats.I brought Myself a red Lipstick few days back which claimed Itself to be fat free. While I was checking the Ingredient List I saw an Ingredient called” Caramine” .I researched about this Ingredient and was shocked to learn that My Red Lipstick actually got Its Pigmentation from Insects.And as all Insects except Locusts are Haram in Islam. My Lipstick was haram too.I felt like filth and began my research on Other Body Products and Cosmetic Brands.And Here is What I found:-
Halal doesn’t limits Itself to food. As We all Know that Muslims are Forbidden to have Contact with Pork Products.Using the beauty products currently available on the market means consumers are potentially contaminating themselves with Haram ingredients in these products.
Sahih International: He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah. But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit] – then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.(16:115)
The above verses of the Holy Qur’an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.According to the mufti at the official fatwa call center of the UAE in Abu Dhabi, pork products in any state are “absolutely haram”. “Everything from the pig is rejected,” he said .”We can’t eat it, buy it, sell it, wear the leather or even touch the animal. It is nejes [dirty or impure] and we can’t use it on our body, a person will then not be in a state of purity fit to pray.”
How do forbidden ingredients become a part of our beauty products?
Protein waste and animal by-products are recycled through a process called rendering. Only about 50% of a cow, 60% of a pig, 72% of a chicken,and 78% of a turkey actually end up in the supermarket. Renderers convert these materials into valuable commodities that are used to manufacture skin care and cosmetics.
Do you think you are not Eating them?
Well,Actually you will be shocked to know that In 1990, the National Health and Medical Research Council in Canberra, Australia, asserted the average woman could expect to swallow between 500 and 1,500 grams of lipstick in her lifetime if she was a modest but regular user.(ref)
Some Famous Make up /Cosmetic Brands Which are NOT HALAL
Do You Know your Favorite Brand of Cosmetic Could be using Pigs Fat and in the Process it can Invalidate your Salah. Let us take a Look at Famous Cosmetics Brand Which serves Non-Halal/Haram Cosmetics.The list have been compiled from the research of Muslim Consumer group.
Olay-All Skin Care Facial Product which has Oil of Olay is Not Halal
PORK AND BEEF FAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS ARE USED IN OLAY AND OIL OF OLAY SKIN CARE PRODUCTS.
Proctor & Gamble,the Company that Manufacture Olay Cosmetics has informed MCG that pork fat and beef fat derived ingredients are used in Olay and Oil of Olay skin care products. MCG advices Muslim sisters not to use these two brands.
Cover Girl is Not Halal
Cover Girl is not Halal. They use animal fats as binders in their products.
AVON is Not Halal:
Avon doesn’t use any pork products, but they have carmine in their lipsticks and use bovine (i.e. cow) in almost everything. Their recent lipsticks (ultra rich) and one of their mineral blushes contains urea (animal urine).
Neutrogena is Not Halal
Pork fat is Used in Neutrogena Products.
Physician Formula is Not Halal
It too Uses Pig fat
REVLON ULTRA HD lIPSTICK:
It is not Halal due to presence of Carmine red color which is obtained from insect. All insect except locust are Haram. Revlon has recently launched a new lipstick line called \”Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick\” which has I think 10 or 12 shades. Check the ingredients list- It has Carmine towards the end of the list which is a Haram ingredient .
For Halal Red Lipstick : Check the halal cosmetics Brands at the end of the article .
Tips To Choose Halal Cosmetics /Make up
We are Listing some tips to Choose Halal cosmetics . There may be more but We are going with the most common found Ingredients and Popular brands.
- Check the Label If it is Animal Fat free or Not.
- Check the Ingredient list:If it Contains CARMINE OR COCHINEAL,It is haram.
- Carmine/CI 75470 (colour) is derived from Cochineal (from beetles).
- red color from Cochineal or Carmine is Haram because all insects are Haram in Islam except locust.
Check For these Potentially Questionable Ingredients:
- Oleic Acid Which is found in Moisturizers, and cosmetics. Oleic Acid is derived from animal matter (beef or pork)
- Keratin is found in Moisturizers(Hydrolyzed Keratin – derived from Keratin (from cashmere goat or sheep wool).)
- Lanolin Alcohol is derived from animal matter
- Palmitic Acid is found in Moisturizers, Masques and cosmetics
- Gelatin is found in Moisturizers, cosmetics.Only fish gelatin is Halal. If you run a DNA analysis (nowadays it is used to detect pig by-products in a food product developed by a Florida company ) of Type A gelatin (pig) and Pig, you will find no difference.
- Stearic Acid/Stearyl Alcohol is found in Moisturizers, cleansers, Exfoliator, Toners, Masque, and after shave(Halal if Obtained from vegetable fat. Haram if obtained from pork fat.)
- Glycerin/glycerol is found in Moisturizers, cleansers after shave. If glycerin is obtained from pork fat then it will be Haram.
- Regarding Alcohol in Cosmetics: Stearyl alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol and Cetyl alcohol are emulsifiers, meaning they help the oily ingredients in the formulation dissolve in the water phase to give the cream a smooth consistency. They tend to be white, waxy solids and are known as fatty alcohols, which occur naturally in some plants and animals. These could be Halal, even though the name suggests otherwise, because if ingested, they are not intoxicating. Cetyl Alcohol for example is a hard wax obtained usually from palm oil. However, there is no way of knowing if they are originally derived from animals or vegetables and thus a well recognized third party Muslim approval is of great importance.
About the Halal Cosmetics
Until recently, Halal was only associated with food.With rising awareness and transparency, the focus is moving towards making more offerings Halal, including financial and beauty products. Since no fully Shariah compliant Halal Beauty Company is there in the market , consumers are potentially contaminating themselves with the questionable ingredients in these products.Unfortunately there is No worldwide consensus or single standard on recognition of single certification as Halal and no proper information or transparency in terms of production facilities and ingredient sourcing
At a time when many other large consumer segments are reaching a saturation point, Muslims are a new outlet from which to build a base for future growth. There are an estimated 1.82 Billion Muslims worldwide that constitute 20% of world population. Islam has no geographic boundary and is a religion and a culture , lives differently in various areas of the world. However , Muslims share the concept of Sharia which is a framework for religious, political, social, private and domestic life.Halal is any action or object that is permissible to use or engage in, according to Islamic law. Muslims are forbidden to have any contact with pork products.
Do You Wear Hijab? >>Read Why Muslim Women love to wear Hijab
Halal Certified :
A Product is “Halal Certified” When The Islamic authority (Imam) inspects the production facilities and factories to make sure there are no haram products or alcohol (including fluids used to clean the equipment) used in the manufacturing process. To be certified halal, halal certifying organizations must be able to track down the source of every ingredient of the product to ensure that it was created according to Sharia Law — the system that governs members of the Islamic faith. Samples of each product are also sent to an independent lab contracted by U.S. Halal Certification to test for traces of pork or pork byproducts before certification is issued. Testing is done on the individual products and ingredients to make sure there are no pork or animal bi-products-it is a time intensive process and may take months. And finally the certificate is issued-for each and every product-if all requirements are met to become Certified Halal.
Halal Make up Brands
People are becoming conscious and aware of Halal and Haram and what’s in their skin care and makeup, which translates to their willingness to spend more on high-quality halal products
There may be other different brands of halal cosmetics too.My advice to all my Muslim friends is to choose a brand that qualifies halal certification and only use the halal products.And if this is not possible then One golden rule which you can apply in choosing your Cosmetics is to avoid the Cosmetics made with animal products and use herbal/vegan cosmetics which do not contain the Above listed haram Ingredients(Please note that all Vegans may not be halal because they may contain alcohol ) .
Edit : For Your Convenience and on request ,We have added a list of Halal Cosmetic Products. These are halal Certified and affordable. May it help you.Some of the link may be affiliate link .JZK Khair.
Halal Makeup for Lips:
- Crystal Dia Lip Crayon 9 Color 2.7g – $6.89 (ebay)
- Halal Lipsticks Iba Halal Care Moisture Rich Vegan Lipstick Vegetarian FREE SHIP-Price : $9.20 (ebay)
- Mineral Botanica Halal Makeup Baobab Vivid Matte Lipstick -$9.51(ebay)
- Iba Pure lips lipsticks All shade – $11.99 (Amazon)
- Crystal Dia Color Lip 8 Color 3.8g / Halal Certificate – Price $ 9.99 (ebay)
- Amara Organic lipsticks-all shade : $12 (Amazon)
- INIKA MINERAL LIP STICK AUBURN AMBITION – CERTIFIED VEGAN – HALAL – CRUELTY FREE-$25 (ebay)
- [TALENT] Crystal Dia Essential Lip Balm 3 Color 5g / Halal Certificate-$5.75 (ebay)
- Halal Wardah Daily Lipstick Lip Kit Palette with Brush – Perfect Red 8 Shades $12.31 (ebay )
- Mineral Botanica Halal Makeup Moisturizing Liner Pen Lipstick-$10 (ebay)
- Mineral Botanica Halal No Paraben Makeup Lip Gloss Liquid Lipstick-$9.54 (ebay)
A list of Halal BB and CC Cream
- [TALENT] BB Primer 909 BB & CC (SPF45+/PA+++) 50g / Halal Certificate-Price:$19.99 (ebay)
- TALENT] Q10 BB Cream [SPF36/PA++] 35g / Halal Certificate / Korea cosmetic-Price $9.99(ebay)
- [TALENT] Royal Jelly BB Cream [SPF36/PA++] 35g / Halal Certificate-$7.99(ebay)
- Mineral Botanica BB Cream Foundation Paraben Free Halal Makeup -$9.39 (ebay)
- Wardah Luminous Liquid Foundation Long Wearing Halal Make Up Cover(Light Beige)- $16.99(ebay)
- Mineral Botanica BB Cream All in One Foundation Paraben Free Halal Makeup 25ml-$9.39 (ebay
Halal Makeup for Face :
- ZENDORI UV OIL FREE FOUNDATION PRESSED POWDER SPF 12 WRINKLES FREE SMOOTH HALAL-$9.82(ebay)
- [TALENT] Crystal Dia Bling Pearl Powder 10g / Halal Certificate-$10.99 (ebay)
- Amara Press Powder Foundation- $20 (amazon)
- MENOW.PRO – STUDIO FIX POWDER FOUNDATION (STAY MATTE) WITH BOX (9g) HALAL&VEGAN-$14.66 (ebay)
- [TALENT] BB Foundation Balm [SPF50+/PA+++] 12g 2 Color / Halal Certificate-$14.99(ebay)
- Inika Mineral Foundation -$31 (amazon)
Halal Makeup for Eyes :
- PACK OF 2 Halal Kajal | Iba Halal Pure Eyes Natural Kajal Kohl: $8.99 (ebay)
- [TALENT] Crystal Dia Water Proof Auto Eyeliner 0.3g 9 Color / Halal Certificate– $6(ebay)
- [TALENT] Crystal Dia Power Mascara 7g 2 Type / Halal Certificate$8.99 (ebay )
Breathable Halal Nailpolish
- Inglot Breathable Nailpolish -$19.99 (Amazon)
Halal Makeup brands -India
If You are in INDIA ,I would suggest you Iba . They have pretty good reviews and cheaper too than the other conventional brands.As per your request,I have listed some halal cosmetics that you can buy online in India via Amazon too.
Iba Halal Care embraces an eco-ethical philosophy; Iba products are not merely natural but also pure and hygienically manufactured, vegan and animal cruelty-free. They have been formulated to meet the ethical needs of all consumers, including Muslims, Jains, vegetarians, and vegans. Iba products are free of any animal derived ingredients and hence suitable for consumption by vegetarians as well as vegans Today, Iba is India’s first and only Halal certified cosmetics brand with a wide range of over 60 products including creams and lotions, face washes, shampoos, conditioners, hair oil, color cosmetics such as lipsticks and kajal, and exotic fragrances, each one carefully developed and manufactured to assure purity, safety and efficacy. As a responsible brand, each and every Iba product has been certified Halal by ‘Halal India’, an independent certifying body recognized by the Government of India.
foundation-Rs 307 .(Amazon.in)
Iba PureLips Moisturizing Lipstick -Rs 194 (Amazon.in)
Smudge free Natural Kajal- Rs 105 (Amazon .in)
Body lotion,deoderant, cream etc (Amazon.in)
You may also Use Shehnaz Herbals This is a PETA certified brand with NO animal derivatives or ALCOHOL used in any of their products as the company website says— halal formulations .
Non-halal certified but may be Halal
For the convenience of our Readers ,I am listing down some cosmetics brand that We can be used with caution and ingredients to be checked for caramine, Alcohol etc. These company claim to not use cow or Pig fat .Such companies are- Garnier , Maybelline , Loreal , Mac etc . But We should take care in reading the list of ingredients . Caramine is generally found in lipsticks so if you want to be sure with buying halal then please buy from halal cosmetics brand.
Jazak Allah Khair.