An Arrogant Person is one who acts as if they are superior, more valuable or important than others and underestimates others. Quran and Hadiths strictly warns us from being arrogant and at the same time distinguishes Arrogance from self esteem. Let us read what arrogance is and check if we fall in this category.
Arrogance: Characteristics- How do we identify it?
1- Excessive desire to receive praise from others
2- Constantly speaks of himself and his achievements
Want to read more from us?
Get our Weekly magazine - SUBSCRIBE!!!!
3-They find it difficult to ask for forgiveness
4-They are intolerant of those who are not like them
5-They are Boastful of what they have and look down on Others
6-They think thjemselves superior and attack individual.
If You like this article Please Share it to help us keep providing you with more.
The Verse of Quran that Warns against Arrogance.
- Allah Almighty says, “That Abode of the Next World: We grant it to those who do not seek to exalt themselves in the earth or to cause corruption in it. The successful outcome is for the godfearing,” (28:83)
- And the Almighty says, “Do not strut arrogantly about the earth.” (17:37)
- The Almighty says, “‘Do not avert your face from people out of haughtiness and do not strut about arrogantly on the earth, Allah does not love anyone who is vain of boastful,” (W31;17; H31:18)
- And the Almighty says, “Qarun was one of the people of Musa but he lorded it over them. We gave him treasures, the keys to which alone were a heavy weight for a party of strong men. See when his people said to him, ‘Do not gloat. Allah does not love people who gloat.'” (28:76)
Hadith on Arrogance/ Having Pride and Vanity
- ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “No one who has an atom’s weight of pride in his heart will enter the Garden.” A man said, “And if the man likes his clothes to be good and his sandals to be good?” He said, “Allah is Beautiful and loves beauty. Pride means to renounce the truth and abase people.” [Muslim]
- Salama ibn ‘Amr ibn al-Akwa’ reported that a man ate with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, using his left hand, and he said, “Eat with your right hand.” He said, “I cannot.” He said, “Then you cannot.” Only pride had
stopped him.” He said, “He could not raise it to his mouth.” [Muslim]
- Haritha ibn Wahb said, “I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, ‘Shall I tell you about the people of the Fire? All those who are coarse, domineering, and arrogant.'” [Agreed upon]
- Abu Sa’id al-Khudri reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “The Garden and the Fire argued and the Fire said, ‘I have the tyrants and the arrogant.’ The Garden said, ‘I have the weak and poor people.’ Allah judged between them, ‘You, the Garden, are My mercy. By you I show mercy to whomever I wish. You, the Fire, are My punishment by whom I punish whomever I will. It is My duty to fill both of you.” [Muslim]
- Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “On the Day of Rising, Allah will not look at anyone who drags his waist-wrapper out of pride.” [Agreed upon]
- Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “There are three people that Allah will not speak to on the Day of Rising nor purify nor look at and they will have a painful punishment: an old adulterer, a lying ruler and a poor person who is arrogant.” [Muslim]
- Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Allah, the Mighty and Exalted, said, ‘Might is My wrapper, and pride is My cloak and I will punish any one who contends with me [for them].” [Muslim]
- Abu Hurayra reported that Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Once a man was walking in his robe, proud of himself, his hair groomed, haughty in his gait, and Allah caused the earth to swallow him up. He will go on sinking into the earth until the Day of Rising.” [Agreed upon]
- Salama ibn al-Akwa’ reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, aid, “A man will continue to be arrogant until he is written among the tyrants and what strikes them will strike him.” [at-Tirmidhi]