My Visit to Battle of Badr
The Battle of Badr was the first major battle in Islam. Since I live Near Madina , My visit to the site of battle of Badr was not my First Visit. I had visited it a number of time. But this Visit was Special. Special Because for the First time I reflected deeply on the Battle of Badr. I began to recall the Quranic Ayah and the Hadeeths on the “Battle of Badr “. And I was emotionally carried into the history of time.
When I arrived at Battle of Badr ,it was afternoon. The Sun was at his Peak . I looked at the Sun and felt the Struggle of the sahabas . The Battle was fought on 17th of Ramadan, 2H .Yes it was fought in the Second year of Hijri in the middle of Ramadan .
I looked all around and I tried to visualize the Battle. I had a Map of battle of Badr in my mind and I tried to put the Map in real Picture. I was standing at the graves of Martyr and it was not possible to exactly visualize the Map into reality but yes, I drew a Rough guess . My heart was filled with awe . I Sent Darud and Salutation on my Prophet SAW and I glorified Allah for the Victory he always gives to the believers . And this Battle Field was a Living example when Allah granted victory to the Muslims who were 313 in number against their Well equipped enemy who were thrice their strength . This is the Map –
I then went to the Place where the names of the Suhadas of Badr is inscribed and for the First time I went through all the Names . It was difficult to stand in the Scorching Sun and read all the names but I when my eyes caught the names of Some Sahabas that I have studied ,I recalled their great Sacrifice and my eyes filled with tears .
14 companions were martyred in the battle. Their names are listed at the site of the battle.They were :
1) Sayyiduna ‘Umayr ibn Abi Waqas. رضي الله عنه
2) Sayyiduna Safwan ibn Wahb. رضي الله عنه
3) Sayyiduna Dhu-Shimalayn ibn ‘Abdi. رضي الله عنه
4) Sayyiduna Mihja’ ibn Salih. رضي الله عنه
5) Sayyiduna ‘Aqil bin al-Bukayr. رضي الله عنه
6) Sayyiduna ‘Ubaydah ibn al-Harith. رضي الله عنه
7) Sayyiduna Sa’ad ibn Khaythama. رضي الله عنه
8) Sayyiduna Mubashir ibn ‘Abd al-Mundhir. رضي الله عنه
9) Sayyiduna Harithah ibn Suraqah. رضي الله عنه
10) Sayyiduna Rafi’ ibn Mu’ala. رضي الله عنه
11) Sayyiduna ‘Umayr ibn Humam. رضي الله عنه
12) Sayyiduna Yazid ibn al-Harith. رضي الله عنه
13) Sayyiduna Mu’awidh ibn al-Harith. رضي الله عنه
14) Sayyiduna ‘Awf ibn al-Harith. رضي الله عنه
These Sahabas will always be remembered till the end of the time for their great Sacrifice . They were favored by Allah because they showed their tawakkul in Allah and Love for dear Prophet SAW that we can’t even imagine. Some stories of Sahabas I want to share are –
- 1) Sayyiduna ‘Umayr ibn Abi Waqas. رضي الله عنه was one of the youngest Martyr in the Battle of Badr . When the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) encouraged the Muslims to prepare for the battle of Badr, ‘Umayr (RadhiAllahuAnhu) was very eager to join them, despite his young age. He accompanied the army and tried to conceal himself. When he was asked why he was hiding, he replied: “I fear that the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) may see me and deem me to young to fight, whereas I am very eager to fight in the path of Allah and attain martyrdom.”AllahuAkar ! was only sixteen years old. When the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) inspected his army, he spotted ‘Umayr and told him that he was too young to battle.‘Umayr began to cry so much until the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) felt sympathised and permitted him to join the army. He fought in the battle and his wish of Martyrdom was granted
Ubaydah ibn al-Harith رضي الله عنه When Utbah ibn Rabi’ah cut off his leg ,he recited a Poetry which is still remembered .It was
You may cut off my leg, yet I am a Muslim.
I hope in exchange for a life near to Allah,
with Houris fashioned like the most beautiful statues,
with the highest heaven for those who mount there.
‘Ubaydah (RadhiAllahuAnhu) was taken by his companions to the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam), with blood flowing endlessly from his leg. He asked: “Am I not a martyr of Prophet of Allah?” The Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) replied: “Certainly!”
- Rafi’ Ibn al-Mu’alla al-Ansari رضي الله عنه He was killed by ‘Ikramah Ibn Abi Jahl, who later accepted Islam and was also martyred.“Allah Ta’ala smiles at two men, one of them kills the other but they both enter Jannah. One of them fights in the path of Allah and is killed. Then Allah forgives the killer [who enters Islam] and he later fights in the path of Allah and is also killed.”
(Narrated by Imam Bukhari on the authority of Abu Huraira (RadhiAllahuAnhu)
Haritha Ibn Suraqah al-Ansari رضي الله عنه When the battle commenced between the soldiers of Allah Ta’ala and His enemies, Haritha went to a pool to drink some water. It was at that point when Habban Ibn al-‘Irqah struck him with an arrow, which lead to his martyrdom in the path of Allah Ta’ala.
When his mother came to know of the death of her young and beloved son, she approached the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) and exclaimed: “O Prophet of Allah! You know very well how much my son means to me! If he is in Jannah, I will be patient in hope of reward from Allah. But if he is not in Jannah, what am I meant to do?” The Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) replied: “Woe to you! Is there only one Jannah? Verily there are many Jannaat, and your son is in [the best one] al-Firdaus!”
- Sayyiduna Sa’ad ibn Khaythama. رضي الله عنه –When the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) encouraged the Muslims to prepare for Badr, Sa’d RA and his father were both eager to fight in the path of Allah. However, it was not possible for both of them to take part in Badr, as one of them had to remain at home with the women of the household.Khaythama (RadhiAllahuAnhu) told his son: “Let me go an fight and you remain here with the women.”Sa’d (RadhiAllahuAnhu) refused and replied: “My father, if it wasn’t for the fact that I desire Jannah, I would have stayed behind.”So they drew lots to decide who would accompany the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) and the other Muslims, and left the decision to Allah Ta’ala. Allah Ta’ala favoured Sa’d (RadhiAllahuAnhu) who won the lottery. This is indeed a great blessing, that he was chosen by Allah to accompany the Prophet (SallallahuAlyhiwasallam) in the first major battle of Islam.Allah Ta’ala blessed him further by granting him martyrdom in His path. He was killed by ‘Amr Ibn Abdi Wudd and fulfilled his desire of entering Jannah.His father Khaythama, who missed out on taking part at Badr, was further saddened by the loss of his son.However, his sincerity and love for Allah and His Prophet did not go unnoticed, as the following year Allah Ta’ala blessed him with the sweetness of martyrdom at the battle of Uhud.
I recalled this Ayah of Quran which said that Allah Sent Rain as Mercy and I looked at the ground . I picked up the Sand and it flew off my hands like Water.
“(Remember) when HE covered you with a slumber as a security from HIM – and HE caused rain to descend on you from the sky – to clean you thereby and to remove from you the Rijz (Whispering- Evil suggestions- etc – of Satan.
And to Strengthen your Hearts – and make your Feet firm thereby” [8:11]
While we were doing Tafseer, We were told that Allah had revealed this Ayah in connection of Battle of Badr . The Muslims had left with the intention to meet a caravan of about 40 men – not intending to fight but only to overpower them .But the caravan escaped and Abu Sufyan sent word to Quraish to come and protect it . The Muslim Army of around 313 Men met the mighty The Quraish with enormous army of 1000 men – Six Hundred wearing shield-, 100 horses – and 700 camels- and luxurious provisions to last for several days. The disbelievers wanted to make this a victory that would put fear into the hearts of all the Arabs .
So When the Scenario was
- 1000 against around 313
- 700 camels against 70 camels,
- 100 horses against 2,
- Enourmous provisions against None
the Muslim Army was a little concerned . Alimghty ALLAH (سبحانہ و تعا لی) showed them favour by sending rain upon the believers that Very Night . The place where the Muslims were to encamp was made of sandy ground which was hard to walk on becuase one’s feet could easily sink in it – Alimghty ALLAH (سبحانہ و تعا لی) sent the rain to make the ground firm under their feet and he also sent the sleep in their eyes to make their Hearts Firm .
I then looked up the Sky and imagined the Angels that came for Help
Seeing the Small Muslim Army fight the mighty Quraish ;the Beloved Prophet Muhammed (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) continued to supplicate his Lord.
Hazrat Abu Bakr as-Sidique [ رضی اللہ تعالہ عنه] witnessed this incessant supplication so He said: “O RasullAllah – you have cried out enough to your Lord – HE will surely fulfill what HE has promised you”
Immediate was the response of Alimghty ALLAH (سبحانہ و تعا لی) -Who sent down Angels/Mallayka’t from the Heavens for the help and assistance of HIS Most Chosen Beloved (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and his Companions – The Qur’an marks this Miraculous Occurance: “I will help you with a thousand of the Angels each behind the other (following one another) in Succession” [Quran – 8:9]
The Beloved Prophet Muhammed (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) in his hut, dozed off a little and then raised his head joyfully crying and said: “O Abu Bakr! Glad Tidings are there for you- ALLAH’s Victory has approached – By ALLAH I can see Jibreel on his mare in the thick of a sandstorm.”
Suhan Allah! I shuddered a little . And I kept looking at the Sky .
Around 5,000 angels had descended to help the Muslims achieve victory over the Quraysh who were better equipped in terms of weaponry, camels and war-horses. Allah says in the Qur’an:
3:125 – Well, if you are steadfast and mindful of Allah, your Lord will reinforce you with five thousand swooping angels if the enemy should suddenly attack you!’
Subhan Allah ! Badr is the place where it was as if the unseen realm flooded into the world of matter. It is a place where the early Muslims learned the lesson of the power of reliance – of total reliance on Allah. And it is the place where Allah becomes a teacher to the new Muslim community – guiding them and teaching them the way of reliance on Him. Allah sends the angels from the invisible world to give firmness to the believers – their hearts became firm, their feet became firm, and then the angels, rank on rank, bring firmness to the believers at Allah’s command
Then Sayyidunā RasūlAllāh (şallAllāhu álayhi wa âlihi wa sahbihī wa sallam ) took a handful of dust and cast it at the enemy and said : “Confusion Seize their faces!” – As he flung the dust – a Violent Sandstorm blew like furnace blast into the eyes of the enemy – About this – Alimghty ALLAH (سبحانہ و تعا لی) says in the Noble Qur’an: “And You- Muhammad d (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) threw not when you did throw – but ALLAH threw.” [8:17]
It was at this point that Beloved Prophet Muhammed (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) gave orders to launch a full counter-attack – He incited the believers reciting the following verse: “And be quick for forgiveness from your Lord – and for Paradise as Wide as are the Heavens and Earth.”[3:133]
The Spirit of the Muslims rose and they fought with the Utmost courage and Bravery severly wounding the Quraish army – killing many of their men and instilling fear in their hearts .After the Battle 70 of the Quraysh were killed and 70 were captured, and 14 of the Muslims were martyred.
I thanked Allah
I thanked Allah for his mercy in giving me a chance to visit the Blessed Place where Angels decended for the help of the believers. Glorified is Allah !There is None Like my Lord . May Allah forgive us for all our shortcomings and give us the imaan of the Sahabas .Unless We know the history and Read in detail the Tafseer of Quran , We won’t be able to Reflect . Ya Allah increase us in Ilm and grant us the favour of his mercy . Ameen Summa Ameen.
Originally written on Dec 2017
Have You Visited Battle of Badr ? Would you like to share your experience ? Feel Free to discuss in the comments Box Below.
Jazak Allah Khair.