Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Source (book review)
Muhammad :His life Based on Earliest Resources by Martin Luthor King is the best biography on Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h) available in English.It is one of the bestselling book on seerah and is based on the authentic sources.Let us see its distinguishing features and why we should read it:
Biography of Muhammad (S.A.W)
Martin Lings (24 January 1909 – 12 May 2005), also known as Abu Bakr Siraj ad-Din, was an English writer and scholar, a student of Frithjof Schuon and a Shakespearean scholar. He is best known as the author of Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources, first published in 1983 and still in print.
While his thesis work on Ahmad al-Alawi had been well regarded, his most famous work was a biography of Muhammad, written in 1983, which earned him acclaim in the Muslim world and prizes from the governments of Pakistan and Egypt. His work was hailed as the “best biography of the prophet in English” at the National Seerat Conference in Islamabad
How is it different from other translations:
- This is truly the most authentic biography of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). The author cites only the most authentic sayings from Ibn Ishaq, Ibn Sa’d, Tabari, Bukhari, and others.
- It Contains original English translations from 8th and 9th century biographies, presented in authoritative language
- It has recieved the award of best biography of the prophet in English at the National Seerate Conference in Islamabad.
- It assists the Western reader in understanding the traditional interpretation of his life and mission
- Martin Lings, was a scholar of both English and Arabic, He has gone back to the original Arabic sources for this biography and translated the Arabic himself including some writings not previously translated into English
- There are extensive footnotes tracing the source
- Since we know that Martin was a shakesparean scholar,he has used his art well in this book.The Biography of the Prophet is a narrative style and it is hard to put the book down once you have started reading it.
- Important additions about the prophet’s spread of Islam into Syria and its neighboring states has been included in this book.
Inside the book:
- The book starts with the story of Abraham and Hajar and and about Mecca and Baitullah
- It talks about the Khu’zaites and how they were responsible in bringing idols to House of Allah
- It talks about the history of the tribe of Quraish and how it came to power after Khu’zaite:-There was a quraish called Qus.ayy who married the daughter of Hulayl, the chief of Mecca(Khu’zaites).Hulayl preferred his son in law over other sons and on his death,Qusa.yy became the guardian of Ka’aaba
- The whole book is like an interesting novel and the story goes to how Prophet (pbuh)married Khadija (R.A) and about ahlul bait
- The end of the book is very touching
What is the opinion of other buyers:
- This work is widely recognized as the most readable account of the life of the Prophet to date.” (Times of London)
- “For those interested in Islam . . . it is mesmerizing.” (Parabola)
- Great book. Very well written. Highly recommended by scholars for those interested in learning and understanding Islam and Prophet Muhammad. Best biography to date
- Highly recommended for new learners!
- If you don’t wish to struggle through allegorical texts, this book is certainly the answer.
- This is an easy book through which to understand Muhammad, early Islam, and the culture from which He came.
- An ideal book as gift for dawah purpose
- Paperback: 384 pages
- Publisher: Inner Traditions; Revised edition (October 6, 2006)
- Language: English
- The book is worth its price.Available in amazon from $10.You can get it here
A very interesting novel styled book on biography of Muhammad(SAW).Have you read it?Are you going to read it?Do share with us your views.