Do you know what are the 5 ranks of temptations to commit Sin?
Yes, There are five ranks of temptations in the heart to commit a sin-
- Haajis or a disturbing thought.
- Khatir or inviting an evil thought to the mind.
- Hadith nafs or a hesitancy between doing or not doing a wrong.
- Humm or including to one of the two options.
- Azam or resolve to commit the sin.
What does Shariah says about these 5 types of Temptation?
- Shari’ah does not take a task the first three kinds.
- The first one,Haajis is overlooked because it is not in a man’s hand to check it.
- The next two (Khatir and Hadith Nafs) are forgiven because Allah has condoned them for the ummah of Prophet Muhammad SAW
- As for humm, the fourth, if the learning is towards piety, then one piety is recorded for the worshipper. If the inclination is towards evil, the there will be no chiding and this too is the favour of Allah for this ummah.
- As for Azam or resolve, the Islamic Scholars say that it will be punished.
Other than the Prophets, none of us are infallible. Allah has created us prone to mistakes and sins on purpose, and through this, Allah’s vast forgiveness is manifested. This is why the blessed Prophet ﷺ said, ‘By Him in whose hand is my soul, if you did not sin Allah would replace you with people who would sin and they would seek the forgiveness of Allah and He would forgive them.’ [Muslim]
So Whenever We fall into sin, we should seek forgiveness of Allah and turn to him in repentance.
Practical tools to Stop Temptation:
1.Seek Refuge in Allah
2. Positive thinking
Think about the Blessings and Do not look at someone who has been given more rather look at those who are below you. Read Are you Sad- Dua to overcome depression
3. Remember Allah much
DELETE those things from your life that are unnecessary causing you concern.Instead turn into rememberance of Allah.Take out some time for dhikr and try to increaseyour Ibadah. See Dhikr List
4.Avoid that which doesn’t benefit you
Why waste your time and energy in things that are unbeneficial.Try to forgive others and try to distract yourself from that which is not benefiting you in any ways.
The youth will try to run away reading this advice. I remember once I advised someone with this advice and they said,”Should we sit crying remembering our death ?” Well does death looks at age ? With all the current events and unforeseen death isn’t not a foolishness not to remember death and not to mend our ways.
6. Fasting and Marriage
If your concern is temptation due to sexual desire,It is recommended that you marry soon and if it is not possible due to some reason or the other,It is recommended that you fast and seek the help of Allah swt instead of turning to evil practices.
If temptations are of a sexual nature, then the Prophet ﷺ said, ‘O young men, whoever among you can afford it, let him get married, and whoever cannot, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him.’ [al Bukhari]. Also, revise your eating habits, check that there are no foods that increase desire after eating them. Eat light, for the stomach has a huge effect on the rest of our faculties and desires. Eating less but enough to get on with our daily affairs is the goal, but this requires gradual training.
Remember the Kahf of this day and age is good company and we can acquire this good ciompany through a good friend,going to the majlis of Scholars,sitting in the circle of Ilm, Making friends with talibe ilm or in this age,may be also following good websites ,Scholars or talibe Ilm.
Hope you benefit from this article. If you like it,Share with People who may also benefit from it.
Jazak Allahu Khairan.
If you like this consider sharing it. Your single share means a lots to us.Republishing the article is permitted on the condition of proper attributes and link.
Do you want to get a Weekly magazine? You can subscribe to get a weekly email with our recent articles.